Sunday, 13 March 2011

A Multitude of Hearts

One of my colleagues is redecorating her house, and asked me if I'd make something to hang on her bedroom wall - after I picked myself up off the floor, where I'd collapsed from the shock of my first proper commission - I enthusiastically agreed. We took a lunchtime trip to The Range, where I had to pick myself up off the floor yet again as she chose a canvas that was 24" square! I've never done anything bigger than 12x12 before, so the big canvas was a bit daunting. Her instructions were 'shades of blue, lots of love hearts and in a shabby chic style - and this is what I came up with:
I painted the canvas pale blue, and then spent hours hand cutting and distressing what felt like thousands of hearts! Most of the papers are from various My Minds Eye collections, including Laundry Line, Lost and Found, Portobello Road and Life Stories. I've only adhered the bottom of each heart, so the tops are free, which gives some dimension to the finished piece.
So far she's seen a picture of it on facebook, and seemed pretty pleased. I'll be taking it into work with me tomorrow, so fingers crossed she likes the real thing!

6 comments:

Handmade Hannah said...

How can she not like that? Love all the tones it is very calming and those MME papers are some of my favourite. Well done :)

misteejay said...

Lovely shades - soft and clean looking. Beautiful piece of work.

Good for you deciding to give crochet flowers ago - I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Toni xx

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Looks perfect, well done on taking up the challenge

Kazy1 said...

What a super project...thanks for sharing. karen

Jenny said...

Wow, this is just so pretty. I'm sure she'll be thrilled x

Wendy said...

Ooh Lovely!