Friday, 6 May 2011

Smile for the Camera

I've seen some gorgeous grey and yellow layouts recently, like this one from Shimelle, and I've been itching to create one myself. Fortunately, the lovely grey patterns in the Crate Paper 'Portrait' collection that Ann sent me from The Scrapbook Garden, along with the gorgeous yellow scalloped cardstock that she included, were perfect! 

















It wasn't hard to find a photo to go with my colour scheme - I've got that many! This photo of my friend Carrina was taken at our wedding last summer - it's a typical Carrina pose, she's always got her camera with her, and is always taking photos - and the results usually end up on Facebook! 
I dug out some grey Bazzill cardstock and went to town with Dylusions spray ink in Lemon Yellow, and a Ranger paint dabber in Snow Cap. I added the Crate Paper patterned papers, and a couple of border and phrases stickers from the same collection. I cut the journaling spot and the camera piece from the accents sheet, cutting the camera piece in half so I could use the lovely yellow colour in two different places.  










The title is in three sections, 'smile' is a Kaisercraft rub on, 'for the' is made of Fancy Pants alpha stickers, and '{camera]' used Thickers. I've also used a small flower from the Thickers pack as an embellishment above the photo. I'm so pleased with how this layout turned out - I think it's one of my favourites so far :D 
June left me a lovely comment the other day about how I seem to be able to 'magic up' scrapbook pages, and that she'd be looking out for some tips. That got me thinking about my tutorial page, and I'm wondering about putting a tutorial together on how I create a scrapbook layout. What do you think? Leave me a comment and let me know - would a layout tutorial be useful?

12 comments:

Scrappy~Sarah said...

A gorgeous page.

Virginia said...

Wow that's gorgeous - I love the colours and the photo! Beautiful stuff! I also like how you've done your title - it looks fantastic!

airing cupboard crafts said...

Your page is stunning!! I love the colour scheme it's scrummy x x

My simple life said...

Great layout. so many layers of paper but all go together well. Mine just look a mess when I do that lol

The Scrapbook Garden said...

I love this combination of colours Jules. I think having the same range of patterned papers and co-ordinating cardstock helps when layering up in this way. Another gorgeous layout. Ann x

Francine said...

oh you're speaking my language@ I am a huge fan of grey and yellow!

Bubbles said...

Beautiful page! Love the idea of a tutorial on how you scrapbook - just love that paint effect and how you layer up papers.

Elaina said...

A lovely layout. The colours go together so well and everything is so well balanced. You have a right to be proud of this page.

misteejay said...

Beautiful page Jules - the colours and everything about it are just wonderful.

Toni :o)

Carrina said...

I know its me in the photo but I totally love it, very you and very me! I love those colours too, I wish I could make such lovely things xxx

Jaqi said...

Beautiful layout , the colours compliment each other so well , its all come together beautifully

Glen said...

Love this Jules. TFS. ~Glen~