Saturday, 11 June 2011

'HOME' Canvas

I've been inspired by a lot of the fabulous canvas art that's floating around blogland at the minute, particularly these from Nicole Pomeroy, who has in turn been inspired by the She Art Workshop from Christy Tomlinson. I was too late to sign up for Christy's actual workshop, but the videos are still available to subscribers, so I went for it - only to be disappointed that I couldn't watch them immediately! As you probably know, we've just moved house, and didn't have the internet connected straightaway, so I was relying on my iPhone for my web browsing, and unfortunately it didn't support the programme that Christy's videos were made with. So my first attempt is really a watered down version as I just wanted to get stuck in, so copied the techniques as best I could with just the finished projects to go on.









I started off fairly small, with an 8" x 10" canvas. I used tissue paper and gesso for my background to create texture, before covering with blue and green acrylic paint. I mixed in varying degrees of white so I didn't end up with solid colour. I then added some white to the sky and darker green to the grass using bubble wrap. 







I decided to use the Basic Grey papers that Ann had sent me in the latest kit from The Scrapbook Garden; the 6x6 paper pad Hello Luscious. Ann set the Design Team the challenge of showing how 6x6 papers can be used as effectively as 12x12 papers. I used the 6x6 papers here to create the house, including the windows, door and heart which I hand cut. I also hand cut the sun and rays from one of the papers, and used another to cover the Woodware chipboard alphas that I used for the title. 









Finally I added lots of doodling, and some Basic Grey and My Minds Eye rub ons. I'm quite pleased with my first attempt, although now I've been able to watch Christy's videos I can see that I could have done a lot more to it. Keep your eyes peeled for the next one, as I can see these little things getting addictive!



9 comments:

Dan said...

Great canvas, I love the pattern on the house :)

Laura said...

This is lovely, I have a canvas and I will have a go with a home sweet home theme. Laura

Mitralee said...

I just tried my first canvas the other day....I am loving that new medium. Yours rocks!! The letters and texture are perfect!!!

The Scrapbook Garden said...

This is lovely Jules - you have really shown the Basic Grey paper packs off beautifully! Ann x

misteejay said...

Lots of great texture Jules - fab project.

Toni xx

Hannah said...

I love this, great texture and rich colour, and that house looks brilliant. Gorgeous canvas.

Claireliz said...

Gorgeous canvas Jules, love it.
C
xx

Ali said...

Really like this canvas - so bright and cheerful.

Julia Smith said...

This is fab Jules. Love the canvas work, Julia