Tuesday, 12 July 2011

A Study in Scarlet

Here's my second project using the Glitz Design papers from Ann at The Scrapbook Garden. I've had this photo sat in my 'to scrap' pile for nearly two years now - it was taken during a trip to Borneo in July 2009. I'd gone as one of three adults with a group of sixth form students to get involved in some community and conservation work. We were camping in the grounds of a nature lodge, and in a rare moment to myself I wandered around taking photos of some of the fantastic plants and flowers. 
As soon as I saw this paper, 'Poppies', I knew it would be perfect for this photo. (I know, I know, it's not a Poppy - but it's very similar, and I have no idea what it actually is!)
The title on this layout is a good example of my favourite kind of title - it's related to the photo but not in an obvious way; it uses more than one kind of alpha; and the alphas aren't straight.
I'm not a fan of the obvious title, one that says exactly what's in the photo. Don't get me wrong, there are some fabulous layouts out there that have obvious titles, but it just doesn't work for me. I pondered on this title for ages, I had the layout propped up on the kitchen mantlepiece; complete apart from the title, taunting me every time I walked past. Most of the time I'll already have a title in my head before I even start to pull a layout together, but every now and then a photo will take a while to speak to me.
Longer titles like this one also mean that you can create interest by using different types of alphas - the tiny Adornit alpha stickers and Thickers are two types that I come back to time and time again. And just in case you needed another reason to love Thickers - the symbols that come in the packs make great flower centres :D
And the wonky thing? It's all about character spacing - with Thickers like the ones I've used on this layout, if you put them in a straight line the letters are just too far apart, and I just don't like it. I think it mirrors my own handwriting - my French teacher used to despair - there's nothing wrong with my handwriting at first glance, it's fairly neat and reasonably legible, but good luck trying to tell if I've spelled a French word correctly! I tend to run all of my letters together, so it's hard to tell where one letter stops and the next one starts, making it very hard to check my spelling - sorry Mr Morton!

8 comments:

Fifi-T said...

love the title and the paper I've never seen anything quite like it

Mitralee said...

I love this paper and your photo! And your use of Thickers and the little letter stickers rock! love this page!

Jaqi said...

Perfect combination of photo and papers its gorgeous

Claireliz said...

Love this Jules, it's fab
C
xx

misteejay said...

Oh my, another amazing LO Jules.

Toni xx

C. Camp said...

Wow, I love the Poppy paper, I thought it may have been something you created using a software package.Great layout. :)

Bubbles said...

So so pretty... unusual and soft. I love it!

Ali said...

really beautiful, and thanks for the title musings, you've managed to put into word what was stuck in my head! Now I can think about it.