Monday, 1 August 2011

Happiness Blog Hop: Buying Happiness

Welcome to the Happiness Blog Hop! You should have arrived here from Scrapworthy Lives. This month we are focusing on the concept of 'buying' happiness.

I read Stephanies posts on Scrapworth Lives with interest this week. Scrapbooking is an expensive hobby, and yet being creative makes me happy, so when I buy scrapbooking supplies am I essentially buying happiness? I suppose in a way I am. But I agree with a lot of the points that Stephanie makes (do visit her blog if you haven't already):

1. You need to take time to enjoy what you buy.
This is so true; the actual purchasing of scrapbook stash is enjoyable, but only brings a fleeting happiness. I do try to spend as much time as possible creating, and therefore using my purchases, so I think I do this quite well, but I'm sure there are old purchases hidden in the back of my stash that haven't seen the light of day since the day they were bought!

2. Don't save stash for the perfect layout.
Oh I'm so guilty of this, and I bet I'm not the only one! Being on Design Teams has helped with this, as I have to use the items that I'm sent, so it forces me to use all that lovely paper and the fabulous embellishments on layouts and projects, and I'm getting better at doing the same with my own stash, but I've still got a way to go!

3. Donate unwanted supplies to a good cause.
I tend to mainly make layouts, but I have a couple of card making friends, and so I'm pretty good at passing on unwanted stash to them. Anything that they don't want goes to a local school, so I reckon I've got this one covered *quietly polishes halo* :D

I hope there's some food for thought there for you! Which are you most guilty of, 1, 2 or 3?

Thanks for hopping with us! Your next stop is Pie for Breakfast :D

Here is the full list of participants in the Happiness Blog Hop:
Scrapworthy Lives
Scrapping Mojo (that's me!)
Pie for Breakfast
Scraps & Sass
Take a Picture and Remember This
1200 Some Miles
Slice of Life
Our Life with Spiky Potatoes
Abstracts Mixed with Extracts
Your Memory Connection
Kiss and Tell Scrapbooking
Melissa's Blog

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm definitely guilty of #2. The industry has taught us to buy it when you see it because it's only available for a limited time. I buy what I love but it may take me 2 years to actually use the product. I'm trying to switch this up and only buy what I know I will use in the next 6 months. No more waiting! :)

Katie Scott said...

Guilty to #2!

P.S. I love your blog banner - our yellow lab Dandy has a blog about happiness here: http://livelonger.typepad.com/labblog/2011/07/hi-my-name-is-dandy-im-love-life.html

Stephanie Medley-Rath said...

Love your humor (polishing halo)! LOL! I actually have a friend who lives paycheck to paycheck, who loves to scrapbook and be crafty in general. I think I am going to let her go through my castoffs first before donating whatever is left. I remember how excited I was when I got to go through people's castoffs when I was a grad student with very little income (not that I'm a millionaire now, but I can afford to buy scrapbook supplies for the most part).

Valerie said...

I must admit that I am guilty of both #1 and #2. I now put new embellishment purchases in a basket on my desk so I will use them. New paper and alphabets go on a designated shelf in my studio, and I go to those first. Using these new items to create layouts and cards extends the happiness beyond the initial rush. I also tend to save my favorites, but I am getting better at that. I agree that design team work helps with that!

Amy said...

I agree with you on trying to use up stash and donating it when you know you won't use it. I think the idea that there will always be new is helpful in not needing to buy all the new all the time. I am trying to buy products I reach for regularly instead of things I just like (I've given up on rub ons as I just don't use them). Happy crafting!

Kimberlee said...

I think I have all three covered. My DD and I have decided that we shouldn't buy any new supplies and see how long we can craft/scrap with what we have now. It could be years. LOL.