Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Butterfly Frame

Ann's latest challenge for the DT at The Scrapbook Garden is to go off the page. She sent each of us a different paper collection (I got the gorgeous Authentique 'Gathering' papers) and a few coordinating bits, and said 'no layouts!' Well, after the fun I've been having with my Hallowe'en projects I was more than happy to comply :D  
I knew I wanted to do a home decor project, so I went into The Range last week to pick up this photo frame ... and came out with a sewing machine as well! I've been wanting one for ages, but didn't want to spend too much as I knew I'd only be using it on paper projects, so when I saw one reduced from £50 to £20 I just couldn't resist! And I'm so glad I got it, I love the effect on this project, it really adds a bit of something extra to it. I definitely need to practise sewing in a straight line though!

I started by taking the glass out of the frame, and then cut a piece of Bazzill in Bitter Chocolate to fit. I chose four patterns from the Authentique papers and cut 4 butterflies from each using my Cuttlebug. I layered one of each pattern together, making sure that each pile of butterflies had a different pattern on top. I then sewed each of the four piles of butterflies together using a burnt orange thread (that came with the sewing machine - see? it was meant to be...). I also sewed around the edge of the Bazzill background. I adhered the four butterflies to the Bazzill and separated the layers to give some dimension to the finished piece. Finally, I adhered one of the sentiments from the Authentique 'Excerpts' sheet underneath the butterflies.

I think these would make great handmade gifts - the possibilities for variations in the design are endless, and they could be completely personalised for the recipient. Right, that's me off to The Range to buy some more photo frames - look out distant relatives!

*Thanks for stopping by - if you came looking for the Happiness blog hop then you need to go here*

20 comments:

The Scrapbook Garden said...

Hi Jules thank you for creating this lovely decor piece. I am sure anyone receiving this would be well pleased! Ann x

Denise said...

Nice job. Love it.

Michelle said...

Ohh love this - really fab colours!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

great job!!

sixofone said...

That's a lovely frame. It makes a really pretty gift

Diane said...

Those butterflies are beautiful!

Erin Bassett said...

Love it! Don't worry about sewing straight...it has more personality if it's wonky!

Pamela Williams said...

Love the frame-beautiful idea. I am in love with butterflies and I love the way yours look. I want a sewing machine too-it's on my list. I think I may ask for one for Christmas.

ScrappnBee said...

I love the out of the box use of paper! This rocks! Thanks do much for sharing! (PS- I cant sew a lick, so you are better off than I am!) LOL -Amanda

Jaqi said...

Gorgeous home decor project , that bitter chocolate is such a rich colour and i agree the burnt orange thread was meant to be as its perfect for this project. I love the effect of sewing on projects and have a machine but sewing and I dont mix well , i need to practice more, you have inspired me to give it another whirl, thanks for sharing this lovely project

Danielle said...

Love how you layered multiple butterflies together. Great project!

Julia Smith said...

Great project Jules - really like the dimension on those butterflies, great idea

Christa said...

That is so cute! Simple, but very elegant and beautiful!

Bubbles said...

Such a beautiful project.. the papers are gorgeous, and the idea is just great... I love it so much I may very well pinch the idea and make one similar of my own!

oddbirdout said...

Such a cute idea! So simple but chic!

Lorena (sonido retro UK) said...

Love it! x
Lorena

Lina said...

Love this project. Such a cute idea!

Elaina said...

Very pretty project, they would definitely make great Christmas gifts.

Claireliz said...

That is stunning Jules, love it.
C xx

vixen said...

Gorgeous :)