Sunday, 13 November 2011

Gift Card Holder

First of all, wow! Thank you so much for all the lovely comments that you left on my last post, the Butterfly Frame. I'm so glad so many of you liked it, and those who said they were going to give it a go, I hope you'll leave me a link in the comments here so I can come and have a look :D
Right, onto today's post - this is my second project for Ann at The Scrapbook Garden, so it's another off the page project using the Authentique 'Gathering' papers. These papers are really thick and have a lovely texture, so they lend themselves really well to non-layout projects. 
I've made a few of these gift card holders before, using the tutorial that I found here, but I've never blogged them so I thought I'd do so today, and I've included a little tutorial of my own. 
1. Cut two pieces from a sheet of double sided paper, one 11" x 4.25", and the other 7" x 1"

2. Take the largest piece, choose which side of the paper you want to have as the inside and outside. With the inside facing you score a valley fold at 3", a mountain fold at 5.5", and a valley fold at 8"
3. Flip the paper over, run double sided tape around the edges of one of the two inside panels, and adhere them together 
4. Take the panels that you adhered together and use your craft knife or a punch to create an opening. This is where the gift card will go, so you may want to use one to measure your opening. I used a craft knife and a circle punch to create the opening shown below:
5. Fold the gift card holder closed, with the front facing you. Take the samller piece of card and place it widthways across the front of the card holder. Wrap the ends around the back and adhere them together. This piece should now slide on and off the gift card holder to keep it closed. Embellish this band as desired.
6. Finally, embellish the inside of the gift card holder as desired. I added one of the quotes from the Authentique 'Excerpts' sheet to the inside page, and a square of paper to the back page to create a pocket for the receipt, or a handwritten note to the recipient. 
And there you have it! I hope you give this a go - and be sure to link me up in the comments if you do - I'd love to see :D

17 comments:

The Scrapbook Garden said...

Hi Jules - thank you for creating this project using patterned papers from The Scrapbook Garden. This is a fab creation and the tutorial makes it look really easy! Ann x

vixen said...

Gorgeous gift holder, thank you for sharing how to make it too :)

Pam said...

I can't wait to make some of these! Gift cards are on Santa's list for some family members and this will be perfect! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Denise said...

Hi Jules - another amazing project. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to make some of these.

Elaina said...

What a fab project, thank you for sharing. I think I will have a go at making these.

Tracy said...

Cute gift card.
Those papers are really pretty
I make a lot of them during the holiday's. Also try to keep some on hand for birthdays.

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

Great idea and really easy to follow tutorial.

Julia said...

Very creative!!! I might have to give this one a go!

Jaqi said...

lovely project and beautiful papers they go together perfectly . you make it all look so easy , i will have to have a go at making one for myself thanks for the inspiration

misty said...

great idea and beautiful card!

Bubbles said...

Great idea!
My son is such a pain to buy pressies for, so I shall probably give him money for Christmas again this year... and now I can make a little something to make that gift special! Thank you!

Glen said...

Cute gift card Jules. *Ü* Thanks for sharing the tut. ~Glen~

Karen leonard said...

Great tutorial..thanks for sharing. It really will liven up a gift card ! Karen

Julia Smith said...

Great holder project Jules, the papers look fab

Claireliz said...

That's fab Jules, brilliant idea.
C xx

Virgínia Vilela said...

Adorei!

Waseem said...

I wish to make some of these if i find time..thanks for sharing it with us.Gift Card envelopes