Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Time Canvas

When I saw the Tando Creative chipboard clock pieces in the kit that Ann sent me from The Scrapbook Garden, I knew I wanted to do something a bit different with it, so I decided to have a play with a 5x7 canvas board.
I covered the board with pages from an old sewing book, and then layered some scraps from the Prima and Glitz Design papers, including a piece that I'd punched some butterflies from - never throw anything away! I gave the whole lot a coat of watered down gesso to tone it down, and then added some more with giant bubble wrap. I added some texture with a Kaisercraft grid stamp and plum archival ink, and a Tim Holtz script stamp with coffee archival ink.
I painted the clock pieces with a black paint dabber. The paint is quite runny so it had lots of air bubbles in it, but I let it dry that way rather than smoothing it out to give a distressed finish. I wanted the hands to stand out more so I embossed them with clear embossing powder (after a failed attempted with silver liquid pearls, which left a bit of residue behind, oh well!). I finished the clock with a Delish Designs brad for a bit of interest. 
I used the same script stamp on the MME Lush alphas with watermark ink and then embossed them with the clear embossing powder to give them some extra texture. To create the rest of the quote (which is from one of my favourite Nine Inch Nails songs, Zero Sum) I used alpha stamps on white card, cut them out and doodled around them. I also added some doodling  around one of the butterflies and at random points on the canvas. 
Projects like this are a great way to use scraps, if you haven't tried it already you should!

5 comments:

The Scrapbook Garden said...

Fabulous! Love that Tando Steampunk Clock and Hands piece - just great! Thanks for creating this. Ann x

misteejay said...

What a super project - looks fabulous.

Toni xx

Claireliz said...

This is gorgeous Jules.
C xx

sixofone aka Leah said...

Wow gorgeous. I have a thing for clock bits and this is really lovely

Dan said...

This is lovely – what a great vintage feel you've achieved!