Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Enjoy


It was my turn to post on the Truly Madly Crafty blog this weekend, for the One Word One Technique series. This week's technique is misting, and the word is enjoy. I love misting, so this month's technique was right up my street! I shared a step by step of how I created my page, so I thought I'd show it here too. 

I started off with a blank piece of paper from a sketchbook, and some mists. I've used Dylusions spray inks,  and chose four complimentary colours; two shades of blue and two shades of green.
I spritzed both blues and the lighter green onto my non-stick craft mat
I then added a quick spritz of water
I took my paper and smooshed it onto the ink. I wiggled it a little bit, but not too much (you want to end up with bright colours, and if you wiggle too much they run together and end up looking more like mud!). I tend to spray a lot of ink and use a couple of sheets of paper and a small 'mop up' journal to pick it all up with - waste not want not right?!
This is what the first sheet looked like:
I dried the sheets and journal with a heat gun, and then went back and picked up a bit more ink around the edges. Here's the end result:
The next job is to add some detail, so I grabbed a couple of stencils (Dylusions again), and spritzed through one with the light blue and the other with the light green to give a tone on tone effect.
And to show that you can use anything as a stencil I spritzed through this chipboard sheet, which is the waste from some counters for a board game (Ankh Morpork dollars in case you're wondering!). I used the darker green mist for this to make the circles stand out more.
This is what my pages and mop up journal looked like after all that misting
I added some gesso by scraping some through a stencil, and stamping some on with giant bubble wrap
At this stage I decided that I preferred the one on the left, so I added some stamping and doodling, and that was it! Here are some close ups of the finished page:
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial, and have some fun with your mists!

8 comments:

fatmonica said...

It's a great page!I love those colours together and the way you've built up the background.

Ali said...

Gorgeous! Scrummy page and lovely to see the step by step. I love Dylusions sprays too. :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwww!! This is STUNNING!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how you created that background!!

Kate said...

Great pages :) Love how you kept the colours so vibrant.
Kate xx

vixen said...

stunning, thanks for sharing the walk through your page is lovely x

Claireliz said...

These are lovely Jules, thanks for sharing the technique.
C xx

S said...

Very cool - you make me want to pull out all my mists!

Emy said...

Fantastic - I LOVE all the layers of colours xx